On March 9th, 2017, Officers with the Winston-Salem Police Department responded to 2929 East Sprague Street on a reported shooting. Officers located Anthony Earl Johnson at the residence with a gunshot wound to his leg. Johnson told officers that he was in his residence when four black males entered armed with handguns attempting to rob him. Johnson advised he struggled with one of the males for control of a handgun and was shot. Johnson said he fled the residence leaving the four males inside.
Winston-Salem Police Department Criminal Investigation Division, Patrol, Special Operations Division and Special Weapons and Tactics personnel responded to the scene establishing a protective perimeter around the residence. Police efforts included blocking/closing surrounding streets for approximately 30 minutes while officers searched for the armed males. The males were not located.
Anthony Johnson was transported to North Carolina Baptist Medical Center where he was treated and later released for a non-life threatening injury.
Investigators of this incident established that Anthony Earl Johnson fabricated the report of being shot during an attempted armed robbery to attempt to conceal that he had shot himself accidentally while alone at his residence. Anthony Johnson was arrested on March 27th.
Investigators ask that anyone with information regarding this incident contact the Winston-Salem Police Department at 336-773-7700 or CrimeStoppers at 336-727-2800.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)