City officials will hold a grand opening for the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Skate Park at 11am Saturday, April 2. A short ceremony will be held, after which the park will be turned over to skaters.
The first 24 skaters with appropriate safety gear (helmet, elbow pads and knee pads) will receive a unique Skate Park T-shirt.
The skate park, at 406 Deacon Boulevard outside the Fairgrounds Annex and across from Wake Forest Baseball Park, offers 15,200 square feet of ramps, quarter pipes, grinding rails, bank ramps and more for skateboarders of all abilities.
It also has a 325-foot-long “pump” track: an undulating track of dips and banks that helps riders master the basics of how to balance and handle their bikes, skateboards and roller skates without the risk of major injury.
Pump tracks take their name from the pumping motion that skaters and bike riders use to propel themselves around the track without having to pedal or push with their feet.
The skate park builds on the temporary skate park the city set up in the summer of 2014 inside the Fairgrounds Education Building. It incorporates those moveable ramps plus fixed elements such as concrete skate “benches.”
The skate park also includes a shade structure, a water station for filling jugs and bottles, a seating area and an emergency call station. The park is designed to accommodate bikes, skateboards and roller skates; scooters are not permitted. Hours for the skate park are 9am to dusk.
The following rules apply to the Fairgrounds Skate Park:
- Hours: 9am to dusk
- Allowed: Skateboards, roller skates, BMX bikes. Scooters are NOT allowed
- Helmets, elbow pads, and knee pads are required to be worn by all participants at all times while they are on the skating surface. Other additional safety equipment is strongly recommended.
- No glass containers, food, or beverages are allowed on the skating surface. Spills of any kind jeopardize the skaters.
- No other items such as benches, tables, wood materials, or other objects intended to be used as ramps or jumps are allowed in the skate park facility.
- No pets are allowed in skate park area.
- No skating against traffic on ramps or pipes.
- Do not proceed down a ramp until clear of other skaters.
- Hours of permitted use are from 9:00 am to dusk. It shall be unlawful for any person to enter or remain on the premises outside the hours posted.
- Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs are prohibited.