The school year is winding down this week, but Forsyth County health officials want parents to think ahead to next year before summer fun kicks off. Instead of adding immunizations to the long list of things to do in the last weeks of summer vacation, health officials are asking parents to get their rising Kindergartner or 7th grader vaccinated now. Children starting Kindergarten or 7th grade will be required to have specific vaccines to protect them from serious diseases. Children new to NC public schools also have new requirements.
Kindergartners must have all childhood immunizations in addition to:
● A dose of polio and Dtap vaccine after age 4;
● Two doses of Varicella (Chickenpox) and MMR vaccine;
● Kindergarten Physical
Seventh graders must have:
● A booster dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis);
● One dose of Meningococcal vaccine
Children NEW to NC schools must have a physical exam within 30 days of enrollment.
Don’t Wait–Make sure your child has all required vaccines BEFORE the beginning of the school year. You may make an appointment to see your pediatrician or family physician, or you may visit the Health Department during operating hours.
The immunization clinic is a walk in clinic and does not require appointments. Children with no insurance or Medicaid pay no out of pocket fee for immunizations. They do not accept credit cards or private insurance. For more information, call Felicia Lovett, Immunization Program Manager at the Forsyth County Department of Public Health, at 336-703-3314.
Immunizations are given at Clinic 3 at the Forsyth County Department of Public Health, located at 799 N. Highland Avenue, Winston-Salem, during the following hours:
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 8:30am-3:45pm; Thursday 9:30am-6:45pm; Friday 8:30am-11:45am
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)