The Children’s Law Center of Central North Carolina is marking its 10th anniversary in September 2015 with two special events. There will be a free public lecture by Brian F. Martin, founder and CEO of the non-profit Children of Domestic Violence and author of the New York Times Best Seller: “Invincible—The 10 Lies You Learn Growing Up with Domestic Violence, and the Truths to Set You Free”.
The Children’s Law Center of Central North Carolina exists to provide children with quality legal advocacy in matters of domestic violence, high-conflict custody, abuse and neglect, and educational issues. There simply has to be protection and a voice inside of the legal system for chldren in America. The statistics can be grim.
- Children who witness domestic violence have a 70% likelihood of being abused or an abuser in their adult relationships
- More than 3 million children witness domestic violence in their homes every year.
- Children who live in homes where there is domestic violence also suffer abuse or neglect at high rates (30% to 60%).
- Children exposed to domestic violence at home are more likely to have health problems, including becoming sick more often, having frequent headaches or stomachaches, and being more tired and lethargic.
- Children are likely to intervene when they witness severe violence against a parent – which can place a child at great risk for injury or even death.
The Children’s Law Center of Central North Carolina advocates for children in civil domestic violence and high conflict custody cases. Their goal is to enable children to grow up in safe environments and to become emotionally healthy adults.
Both the lecture and an anniversary and awards celebration will be held on Thursday, September 17, 2015. the schedule is as follows:
Brian F. Martin Lecture
Old Salem Visitor Center
900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem
Free and Open to Public
Reservations Required and can be made online HERE.
Anniversary & Awards Celebration and Reception
751 West Fourth Street, Winston-Salem (same building as Winston-Salem Foundation)
Tickets $50/person may be purchased on HERE.
All proceeds will benefit the Children’s Law Center
CCD is proud to be a media sponsors for this event.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)