The following was provided for your information by the Winston-Salem Police Department and is public information.
On March 1, 2017 officers were called to the scene of a single vehicle crash in the parking lot of the Harris Teeter located at 150 Grant Hill Lane, just off of Country Club Road.
The investigation revealed that for unknown reasons the 2003 Chevrolet passenger vehicle, driven by Ms. Nina Cheek Oakley, collided with the Harris Teeter Building. Ms. Oakley’s vehicle then rolled backwards into a parked and unoccupied vehicle in the parking lot.
No other persons in the area were involved.
Ms. Oakley had been in the care of a local medical facility until March 14, 2107, when she died. She was 90 years old.
On March 15, 2017 an autopsy determined that the injuries sustained in the crash contributed to Ms. Oakley’s death. As such, this incident is being classified as a Motor Vehicle Fatality.
The Winston-Salem Police Department’s Traffic Enforcement Unit will assume this investigation and conduct any necessary follow up.
This is the 6th Motor Vehicle Fatality in the City of Winston-Salem during the calendar year 2017. In comparison, there were 4 Motor Vehicle Fatalities in the City of Winston-Salem by this date in 2016.
Anyone with additional information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Winston Salem Police Department at 336-773-7832 or Crime Stoppers at 336-727-2800.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)