Winston-Salem Writers and New Winston Museum are partnering for an Ekphrastic Night at the Museum on Friday, June 24, from 6 – 9 pm. (Ekphrastic: a device in which one medium of art tries to connect to another medium by defining and describing it in an effort to relate more directly with its audience.) Writers are asked to stop by the museum between now and June 24 to view the Birth of the Cool photography exhibit by Owens Daniels and write a poem or spoken word piece that is inspired by one of the photos. On June 24, writers will read their pieces. Lorraine Boland, jazz and blues vocalist, will perform, and Alex Baum will play guitar and provide background music as the writers read their works.
The Birth of the Cool photography exhibit features photos of iconic local musicians and artists, including Joe Robinson, Big Ron Hunter, Hashim Saleh, Diana Tuffin, Vanessa Ferguson, Nick Hayes, Sonya Bennett Brown, Jayla Allen, Vanessa Ferguson, Marktavious Patton, Tiara Avering and Nathan Ross Freeman.
This is a free event. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, visit HERE.
Founded in 2005, Winston-Salem Writers is a group of writers who write fiction, non-fiction, plays and poetry, and who care about the art and craft of writing. They offer programs, workshops, critique groups, open mic nights, contests and writers’ nights out for both beginning writers and published authors. For more information, visit HERE.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)